“Prayer is talking, meditation is listening”
Benefits of Meditation Practice
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Improves emotional stability, clarity, and peace of mind
- Increases sense of well-being and creativity
- Increases focus and expansion through relaxation
- Enhances self-esteem and self-acceptance
- Improves immune system and energy levels
Yoga and meditation when practiced together strengthen the mind body connection, improving overall fitness and well-being. Many styles of yoga combine meditation with the physical routines, which use controlled breathing throughout the yoga poses. You can meditate without practicing yoga by simply relaxing, clearing your mind and concentrating on controlled breathing. Both yoga and meditation, when used consistently, have proven health benefits.
To still the mind, the breath must be calm. To calm the breath, the body must be still. When these conditions have been met, deep awareness is possible. This state can be achieved only by commitment and dedication. Commit to stillness and allow whatever arises to be just what it is.
-Bernie Clark in The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga